We’re talking cheesy, saucy, pasta-lover’s heaven jam-packed with hunks of chicken, tender-crisp veggies, healthy whole grains, and flavorful artichokes and herbs. PLUS, it’s baked to melty perfection right in the skillet for minimal clean-up and ultimate ease.
Just lightly sauté the chicken then veggies…
Toss together all the good stuff…
Put it in the oven for a quick 15-20 min…
Gently stir for ultimate sauciness and BAM–a huge skillet for one.
This one was all for me, but the recipe would be perfect multiplied for a crowd, family, date night, or leftovers (which now I’m wishing I made enough for, so the recipe is written for 2 😉 ).
- 3.6 oz whole grain penne
- 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp EVOO
- 1/2 Tbsp white cooking wine
- 4 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3/4 cup sliced bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced yellow onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp + sprinkle dried basil
- 1/2 tsp + sprinkle dried oregano
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce*
- 40 g jarred artichoke hearts
- 1 oz shredded Italian blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Bring a small/medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add a generous sprinkle salt and dry pasta. Cook 7-8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, chop chicken into bite-sized pieces and sprinkle with a pinch salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Heat EVOO in a medium (10-inch) skillet. Add chicken and sauté 3-4 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Transfer chicken to a bowl. Add wine to pan, then immediately stir in mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion, scraping browned bits from the pan. Add 1/2 tsp each dried basil and oregano, salt and pepper to taste, and garlic. Cook a couple minutes, stirring occasionally (peppers should still be somewhat crisp).
- Remove skillet from heat. Stir in penne, sauce, artichokes, chicken, and half of cheese. Top with remaining cheese. Cover and transfer to oven for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Divide into two bowls and swoon.
- *Go for a high-quality organic jar for the best taste. My favorite is Dave's Organic Red Heirloom--find it at Target or buy a case on Amazon. You won't regret it!