Happy Birthday, USA!
I am so incredibly blessed to call this nation my home, and there isn’t anywhere else I would rather be. I hope everyone is having a fun and safe holiday weekend filled with joy, gratitude, pride, and a renewed fervor to keep our nation great.
To celebrate, I’ve got this red, white, and blue (well, pretty much) breakfast going that is INSANELY DELICIOUS. I actually feel guilty for not having posted it sooner.
We’ve got fluffy, hearty hunks of bagel baked up French toast-style with juicy blueberries and sweet spices, then finished off with warm maple almond butter sauce and melty chocolate chips. And it’s all 100% whole grain, refined sugar free, and requires no butter or added oils. But you wouldn’t believe it because this stuff is soooooooo flippin’ yummy.
Just soak the bagel cubes overnight (I like Cobblestone 100% whole wheat)…
Then in the morning, toss in the oven with blueberries and bake to golden toasty perfection. So simple!
Don’t you just LOVE when the blueberries are about to burst with all those sweet juices?
For the maple almond butter sauce, it’s just 1 part Justin’s maple almond butter, 1 part pure maple syrup, a pinch cinnamon, and a splash vanilla. Microwave about 10 seconds and stir. Don’t forget to lick the bowl. 😉
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup 1% milk*
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 packets stevia**
- 1.5 whole grain bagels***
- 60 g fresh blueberries
- 4 tsp Justin's maple almond butter
- 4 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 10 g Lily's stevia-sweetened chocolate chips
- Cut bagels into about 1" cubes. In a wide bowl or storage container, whisk egg, egg whites, milk, spices, vanilla, and sweetener. Add bagel cubes and toss (or seal container and shake) to evenly coat. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 8"x8" baking dish with parchment paper. Evenly pour in bagel cubes, along with any excess egg mixture. Sprinkle blueberries on top. Bake at 350º about 30 minutes. Broil an additional minute if desired until browned on top.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Add almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 10-15 seconds, then stir until smooth.
- Divide French toast between two plates. Drizzle half of almond butter sauce over each and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Enjoy!
- *You can sub any milk of choice.
- **Or 4 tsp sugar, or equivalent
- ***About 158 g; I use Cobblestone 100% whole wheat.