Can you believe it’s almost August?!?! I know I say this every year, but this has to be the fastest summer EVER. I guess keeping super busy will do that.
So while these final weeks fly by, I’m hanging on to all my favorite summer produce. Aka plump and juicy dark sweet cherries!
This is the perfect hearty and delicious summer salad, packed with tender grilled chicken, sweet cherries, tangy gorgonzola, toasty walnuts, fresh basil, avocado, onion, crisp Romaine, and all finished off with a quick balsamic dijon dressing. Feel-good food in every way!
I paired mine with my new chip obsession–Beanitos Restaurant-Style White Bean (definitely a must-try).
- 3 oz raw boneless skinless chicken breast*
- 1 cup Romaine, roughly chopped
- 5 dark sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 Tbsp thinly sliced red onion
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, sliced
- 1.5 Tbsp crumbled gorgonzola**
- 12 g avocado, sliced
- 5 g walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/8 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp dijon
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp EVOO
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- pinch salt and black pepper
- Lightly grease a skillet or grill pan and heat over medium. Season chicken* with a little salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Set aside. When cool, chop into bite-sized pieces.
- For the walnuts, toast in the skillet or a toaster oven until fragrant, then chop.
- Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl/jar/container until thoroughly combined.
- Add to a large bowl the chopped lettuce, chicken, cherries, onion, basil, cheese, avocado, and walnuts. Pour on dressing and toss.
- *1-2 raw tenderloin strips or a raw cutlet. Or you can use leftover cooked chicken.
- **Or feta or goat cheese