A very sweet friend stopped by the other day to give me a beautiful painted dish with an adorable crab on it. (Thank you!💖)
She knows that crab just happens to be one of my foodie obsessions. Like those big fat lumps of sweet succulent deliciousness that basically melt in your mouth…
Yeah, that kind.
Jumbo lump is the key here; you need to splurge on the good stuff. I would highly recommend the jumbo lump crab from Publix. It’s freshly packaged and has no fishy smell at all, and I love that I can get high-quality crab even when I’m not on the coast! Plus, because it’s already cooked and ready to be tossed into any recipe, it’s a huge time-saver.
And that brings me to one of the very many reasons I’m in love with this recipe. You can have gourmet-tasting, romantic-looking, nutritious comfort-food ready in minutes! Perfect for Mother’s Day, dinner with someone special, or even a busy weeknight when you just deserve it.
All it takes is sautéing up some onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper (+/- any veggies you want) with some minced garlic and Italian seasoning, then mixing in a tomato-based pasta sauce (–> Dave’s Gourmet Red Heirloom!!!), and tossing everything with cooked linguine, crabmeat, and cheeeeeeese.
For the cheese, you can use any shredded Italian-style variety (mozzarella, fontina, parmigiano-reggiano, etc.), but if you really want to bump up the flavor, try Sargento Tastings Bruschetta Jack…it will rock your world.
- 5 oz cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 - 1 bell pepper
- ~1/4 yellow onion
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce*
- 4 oz whole grain linguine
- 6 oz cooked jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1 oz shredded cheese**
- Slice the mushrooms, and roughly chop the bell pepper (any color/s) and onion. Mince garlic if necessary, and shred cheese for later. Boil a pot of water with a generous pinch salt.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package instructions, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving a small amount of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium/large nonstick skillet (add more if needed). Add onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, Italian seasoning, and salt/pepper to taste, and cook over medium several minutes, stirring occasionally. When veggies are almost done, stir in garlic and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Add a splash of pasta water if necessary to scrape up any browned bits. Remove from heat.
- Combine sauce and crab with the veggies in the skillet, and return to medium/low heat. Add cooked pasta and shredded cheese, and gently toss to combine. Cover until melty. (You could also divide the pasta first, then add sauce and cheese to each bowl.)
- *I highly recommend Dave's Red Heirloom, but any variety or homemade will work!
- **Freshly shredded fontina, parmigiano-reggiano, mozzarella, any Italian blend, or Sargento Tastings Bruschetta Jack