I am super excited to share this new brownie recipe with you! With about a billion brownie recipes floating around the Internet, all claiming to be the very best, it’s extremely difficult to choose what to make. And if you’re like me and believe that dessert should be something you enjoy everyday and feel good about, then the decision is even harder!
So I’ve made for you a recipe you can count on, one that’s light on calories but certainly not flavor. These brownies are to me the perfect balance of fudginess and cakiness: they’re rich and moist, but also thick and crumbly and soft and even have a melt-in-your-mouth quality. They’re also easy to make and require no “odd” ingredients. So much to love!!
Melted dark chocolate AND cacao powder come together to make these ultra rich-tasting; and a touch of espresso, vanilla, and bourbon bring the flavor profile to a whole new level.
I’ve used a combination of coconut oil (hello healthy fats!) and creamy Greek yogurt for moisture, so say goodbye to dried out low-fat baked goods. Plus, white whole wheat flour makes these whole grain! (You can probably make these gluten-free by subbing in an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend. Haven’t tried, but let me know if you do!)
As I drool standing 3 inches from the oven…
- 2 oz dark chocolate*
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 15 packets Stevia in the Raw (any equivalent to 10 Tbsp sugar)**
- 6 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened raw cacao powder***
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bourbon (opt.)
- 36g additional chocolate chips, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350º, and line a 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add 2 oz chocolate and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 10-15 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg and yogurt until smooth. Stir in stevia**, coconut sugar, cacao powder (sifted if lumpy), flour, baking powder, salt, espresso, vanilla, and bourbon until thoroughly mixed and no lumps remain. Pour in melted chocolate/coconut oil and stir to combine.
- Spoon batter into parchment-lined pan and even out with a knife or rubber spatula. Top with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake at 350º ~20 minutes, or until fork inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool several minutes. Slice into 12 pieces. Serve immediately or freeze for later.
- *Use stevia-sweetened dark chocolate baking chips (Lily's brand) to reduce sugar, or any good quality dark chocolate bar.
- **Or 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp extra coconut sugar. If using a sweetener blend, make sure to adjust to 10 Tbsp sugar equivalent.
- ***Or preferred cocoa powder. Darker for more intense flavor.