Are you ready for the fluffiest, most pillowy perfect pancakes EVER? With fresh blueberries bursting with sweet juiciness? And mini chocolate chips melting throughout? Ooooh yeah, and a drippy maple almond butter sauce with hints of vanilla and cinnamon? If so, keep on scrolling because these babies are for YOU.
The secret here is not disguising some unbelievable health food, but rather reapproaching a classic. There’s a reason that the phrase “buttermilk pancakes” conjures up warm, happy thoughts and gets your mouth watering. Because buttermilk can work magic in good ole’ flapjacks. The acid in buttermilk reacts with the baking soda to produce a wonderfully light and airy texture, and the flavors bring a hint of tang and rich buttery notes. So, basically, this stuff is PERFECT for pancakes. (Buttermilk is simply dairy milk that’s been pasteurized then treated with lactic acid bacteria, which provide the thickness, acidity, and buttery taste. This article from Cooks lllustrated can help answer some of your questions.)
So what about the “healthy” part? And what makes these so special?
- 100% whole grain– White whole wheat offers all the benefits of regular whole wheat but with a lighter taste and texture. You would never know!
- No refined sugar– A touch of monk fruit (healthy natural calorie-free sweetener) adds just the right amount of sweetness and makes refined sugar unnecessary. I also used Lily’s dark chocolate baking chips, which are sweetened with stevia. So go ahead with a little maple syrup in the topping without any guilt. 🙂
- Low fat/fat free buttermilk– The desirable characteristics of buttermilk actually don’t come from milkfat, so we can keep it light.
- Plain nonfat Greek yogurt– Thickens the batter just enough and helps create that remarkably fluffy texture, while adding a little kick of protein.
- Avocado oil or coconut oil– Either of these work perfectly and add healthy fats; the pancakes don’t need much, so calories can still be kept in check.
- Blueberries– Nutritional powerhouses with a multitude of potential health benefits, including reduced inflammation, antioxidant activity, and promotion of metabolic, heart, and even cognitive health!
- Almond butter topping (optional but highly recommended!)- Get healthy oils and other nutrients from almond butter in this sweet topping that’s TO DIE FOR yummy.
Putting all this together makes these not only nutritious and wholesome, but so satisfying your belly will be happy for hours. Plus, they’re ridiculously easy to throw together and quick enough even for a weekday! So let’s indulge, shall we?
Feel free to top these however you’d like, but I’m going to push for this instant Maple Almond Butter Sauce.
I have to rephrase: MAKE THIS NOW. It’s hard to even articulate how magical this mixture is.
The maple-vanilla-cinnamon flavor combo pairs perfectly with the blueberry, chocolate chip, and buttermilk goodness. Unite that with the drippy, smooth, rich texture and you have a sauce made in heaven.
Just combine 1 part Justin’s Maple Almond Butter (I haven’t tried this with other brands), 1 part pure maple syrup, a dash cinnamon and splash vanilla; microwave 10 seconds; stir; and POUR ALL OVER EVERYTHING.
Nutrition facts are for 1 serving pancakes with blueberries and chocolate chips (Lily’s), not including maple almond butter sauce.
Recipe loosely adapted from Ambitious Kitchen and Amy’s Healthy Baking.