This cake, though…
It’s quick, hassle-free, light, and SO YUMMY!
I seriously can’t get enough of it. I make it at least once a week for my after-dinner chocolate fix, including on busy weeknights! Yep, you can have a whole chocolate cake all to yourself and be completely cleaned up in 15 minutes. Not kidding.
If you’ve looked around on Pinterest or Facebook, you’ve probably seen some form of “mug cake,” and may have caught on to the trend. There are tons of recipes out there, many of which include heaps of unwanted sugar, butter, and refined grains. But wouldn’t you just love to have a big, moist chocolate cake all to yourself, anytime, and it actually be GOOD FOR YOU?
Well that’s what I thought, and thus this recipe was born.
The ingredients are simple, preparation is easy, and OMG is it scrumptious! I probably won’t bake a big chocolate cake again–stick a candle in this for my birthday!
Bonus: Only 168 calories for the WHOLE CAKE plus frosting!
- 14 g white whole wheat flour
- 7 g cacao powder*
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- small pinch salt
- 2 packets stevia**
- 2 tsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp 1% milk
- 1/8 tsp espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Tbsp reduced fat cream cheese
- 5 g dark chocolate chips***
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Mix together flour, cacao powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl add applesauce, coconut oil, milk, and espresso powder. Microwave 10-15 seconds, just to melt the coconut oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and stir well to combine, removing any lumps.
- Using a paper towel, rub a small, shallow microwave-safe bowl with coconut oil (or line with parchment paper if removing cake before eating). Pour batter into greased bowl.
- Microwave cake on high 57-60 seconds.
- Meanwhile, combine frosting ingredients in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 7-10 seconds and stir. Spread over cake.
- *I use Navita's Naturals Raw
- **or equivalent to 4-6 tsp sugar
- ***I use Lily's brand
If using parchment paper, you can pop it out and eat it on a plate, too!