Summer is here!
And that means PEACHES! Probably what I look forward to the most out of all the sweet produce the season brings forth.
And what better way to enjoy these juicy ripe gems than in a wholesome, easy-to-make, INSANELY delicious breakfast bake featuring hearty cubes of toasty and soft whole grain French toast, cream cheese, sweet spices, and a crisp almond maple streusel?
It’s prepped the night before and easy to assemble in the morning, only takes 30 minutes to bake, and requires minimal clean-up. Plus, this HUGE serving is actually GOOD-FOR-YOU (whole grain, full of protein, fiber, fruit, and healthy fats) and light enough not to weigh you down like many decadent breakfast treats.
Just mix your egg/whites, milk (any kind will do), spices, and bagel cubes the night before…
And in the morning layer with dabs of cream cheese and sliced ripe peach!
The streusel comes together in a snap and browns to crisp sweet perfection right on top.
Then we dig in…
- 1.5 whole grain bagels
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup 1% milk*
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 packets stevia**
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g sliced peach***
- 1 Tbsp reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp white wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp quick oats
- pinch cinnamon
- 10g sliced almonds
- 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, softened
- In a large bowl or flat-bottom container, whisk egg, whites, milk, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, stevia**, and vanilla. Cut bagels into cubes then toss in egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Spoon in about half of bagel mixture. Dab cream cheese evenly over bagel cubes. Layer on peach slices. Cover with remaining bagel mixture. Bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour, oats, cinnamon, and almonds until combined. Stir in maple syrup then coconut oil. Sprinkle streusel mixture evenly on top of French toast, then return to oven for an additional 15 minutes. (about 30 minutes total)
- Broil about 1 minute until top is browned.
- Serve with maple syrup, and dig in!
- *Or any milk of choice
- **Or about 1 Tbsp sugar of choice (coconut, brown, etc.)
- ***About 1.5 - 2 peaches