Quesadillas are a regular thing in my kitchen…as they should be 😉
Not only are they quick and delicious, but a whole grain tortilla is like a canvas ready to be painted with vibrant colors of tastiness and health–the possibilities are endless!
Some of my favorites include:
- Chicken, balsamic mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes, herbs de provence, and smoked gouda (recipe!)
- BBQ sauce, bacon, apple, and cheddar
- Fruit chutney, bacon, and fontina
- And I can’t forget the more traditional southwest combo that never disappoints!👇Fiesta, anyone?💃
And before you know it, it will be all crisp and melty and aromatic and beautiful. Serve it up with a dollop of tangy Greek yogurt, and your wholesome lunch or dinner is ready to be DEVOURED.
- 1 medium whole grain tortilla
- 3 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, raw*
- 1/4 cup sliced red/yellow bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp sliced red onion
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- sprinkle chili powder
- dash smoked paprika
- dash cumin
- salt and black pepper
- 12g ripe avocado, sliced
- 14g shredded sharp cheddar**
- 1/4 cup spinach (opt.)
- (If chicken not already cooked) Heat skillet over medium heat and grease with a little oil. Season chicken with a pinch salt and pepper, and and cook until done (about 5 minutes per side if using tenderloin strips). Remove and set aside. When cool enough to touch, pull into small pieces.
- To the same skillet over medium heat, add sliced bell pepper, onion, and a splash chicken broth or water to scrape up browned bits. Cook 2-3 minutes, then stir in garlic and cook about 30 seconds longer. Lower heat and stir in 1/2 tsp lime juice, pulled chicken, generous sprinkle chili powder, dash cumin and smoked paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- On half the tortilla, layer sliced avocado (as much or as little as you like), chicken/veggie pan mixture, shredded cheese**, and spinach (optional). Fold in half.
- Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel, and reheat over medium-high. Add loaded tortilla and cook on each side until melty and crisp.
- Slice and serve with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.
- *1-2 tenderloin strips; leftover cooked chicken (rotisserie, pan-seared, etc.) works great as well!
- **Or any type of jack cheese, or a Mexican blend; best if freshly shredded from a block