Thick, crumbly, soft and crisp cornbread with a touch of honey. It’s 100% whole grain, lightened up with healthy ingredients, and comes together in minutes! Plus it freezes beautifully, making this the PERFECT quick accompaniment to complete a weeknight dinner.
Just whisk your wet ingredients, mix your dry, then combine…pour into a greased 8″ skillet and pop into the oven for 12 minutes…remove and slice into six super-thick wedges…and freeze any remaining slices. SO SIMPLE!
When reheating from frozen (just 10 minutes at 400º), I highly recommend using a holey pizza pan to maximize crispiness. Even after slicing the fresh batch from the oven, I like to crisp up the piece(s) I am serving right away for about 3 minutes on the pizza pan. Can’t beat that texture!
- 72g cornmeal (whole grain, medium grind)*
- 58g white whole wheat flour*
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- scant 1/4 tsp sea salt**
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp low fat buttermilk***
- 1 Tbsp + 1/2 tsp EVOO****
- 4 tsp honey
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Grease an 8" skillet with olive oil (about 1/2 tsp if nonstick, or more if cast iron). Gently heat skillet on the stove for a couple minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and sea salt) well in a bowl. In a separate bowl, add egg white, buttermilk, 1 Tbsp EVOO****, and honey; whisk until thoroughly combined. Pour dry ingredients into wet and stir just to incorporate (some small lumps are good!).
- Pour batter into heated skillet, and transfer to oven. Bake about 12 minutes, or until set and just beginning to brown. Remove and cool a couple minutes. Slice into 6 wedges using a spatula.
- If desired, just before serving, toast slices to be eaten right away on a pizza pan (one with holes in the bottom) about 2 minutes at 425º (to maximize crispiness.) For an indulgent twist, first cut each piece horizontally, almost to the end, and add freshly sliced cheddar. Toast 2-3 minutes for crisp, melty heaven!
- Allow any remaining slices to cool completely, then transfer to an air-tight container and freeze. Reheat on a pizza pan (preferably with holes) at 400º for about 10 minutes.
- *Roughly 1/2 cup each flour and cornmeal. I recommend Bob's Red Mill medium-grind cornmeal.
- **Between 1/8 and 1/4 tsp sea salt, depending on your taste.
- ***If you don't have buttermilk, 6 Tbsp 1% milk plus 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt works great also.
- ****Garlic-infused olive oil is INCREDIBLE here. Experiment to find your favorite!